DSS-41 Island Lagoon
DSS-41 was the first Deep Space Tracking Station to be built outside the US. It was built for the Deep Space Instrumentation Facility – which became the Deep Space Network in December 1963. Until the DSN was formed, the station was known as DSIF-41. (Likewise, Tidbinbilla, the second Australian DSIF station, was known initially as DSIF-42.)
The Woomera station was the second of three stations to form the first global tracking network.
The first DSIF 26m (85 foot) antenna had been built at Goldstone in California in 1958. Island Lagoon was built in 1960, and the Johannesburg station was built in 1961.
In early 1959, a location for the Woomera station had been selected in a natural depression on the north-eastern shore of the Island Lagoon dry salt lake – and construction began in May 1960.
The 26 metre (85 foot) polar-mounted antenna was assembled by the Blaw-Knox company under the supervision of a JPL team led by Walt Larkin. The antenna design was the same as that of DSIF-11, the Pioneer Station at Goldstone in California.
Between August and November 1960, Richard K Mallis from JPL supervised the JPL / Collins Radio team as they installed the electronics. Dick had earlier assisted in the construction of the Pioneer Station. Soon after, he supervised the same work for the third (virtually identical) DSIF station at Johannesburg.
DSS-41, Island Lagoon, early days.
Richard Mallis explains that the control building was not finished in time for the launch of Ranger I (launched 23 August 1961), so various subsystems, housed in four trailers, were interconnected via a long shed near the antenna.
Photo with thanks to Richard Mallis – sourced from the Picture Album of the Deep Space Network, compiled by N A Renzetti and D Worthington. (Mike Dinn recalls that Dr Renzetti had photos of the various stations displayed along the corridors at JPL.) Scan: Colin Mackellar.
DSIF-41, Island Lagoon, 14th December 1961.
This is the original L-Band configuration which was used mainly for the Ranger missions. See the full size scan here. (1.4MB) Scan: Jan Delgado.
DSIF-41 became operational on 3 November 1960, when voice and teletype messages were received from Goldstone via Moonbounce.
On 10 February 1961, Island Lagoon was officially opened. Again using the Moonbounce technique, Australian Minister of Supply Alan Hulme received greetings from NASA Deputy Administrator Hugh Dryden in Washington, via Goldstone.
What appears to be the opening ceremony of DSIF-41 on 10th February 1961.
The crowd is being addressed by someone standing on the edge of the dish.
The white attachment at the far left on the end of the quadripod – is the L-Band Acquisition Aid. It was later transferred to the edge of the dish.
Scan: Colin Mackellar. Thanks to Don Gray for the Acquisition Aid info.
DSIF-41 was operated by the Department of Supply, whose Weapons Research Establishment managed the nearby Woomera range. The US – Australian Agreement stipulated that Australian staff would operate the station under the auspices of the Department of Supply for NASA.
DSS-41, Island Lagoon, c. 1963.
This is the original L-Band configuration which was used mainly for the Ranger missions. With thanks to Don Gray.
DSIF-41 was originally equipped to transmit and receive in the L-Band (UHF around 960MHz). This is the configuration in the photo above.
Don Gray (Senior RF Engineer at Island Lagoon and later Station Director at Tidbinbilla and then Honeysuckle) writes –
Another view of the station circa 1964.
Here, the antenna has been modified for L-Band and S-Band operation in order to support the Lunar Orbiter and later missions.
Photo via Glen Nagle, Tidbinbilla.
DSS-41, Island Lagoon, 1966.
The antenna is here configured for both L-Band and S-Band operations.
DSS 41 operated continuously until the station closed in December 1972.
See Missions supported.
The book Uplink-Downlink: A History of the Deep Space Network by Doug Mudgway.
The book Woomera, by Ivan Southall, Angus and Robertson Ltd., 1962.